Strep throat is a common medical problem, characterized by a bacterial infection mainly in the part of the pharynx. Medically known as acute strep throat, also it affects the larynx (the voice box) and the tonsils in maximum cases. Many people often ask if they can get strep without tonsils or not. In order to get the answer to this question, we will try to understand the cause of strep throat and the symptoms associated with strep throat.
The causes of strep throat without tonsils
1. Strep throat without tonsils is most common among children and adolescents, although streptococcal infection can occur in all age groups. The bacterial strain that causes strep throat is Streptococcus Pyogenes also called group A Streptococcus bacteria. It normally lives in the mouth and the nose without causing any signs of infection. However, when there is a favorable condition, it is repeatedly multiplied and causes infection.
2. We often assume that throat pain is like strep throat, which is not. A sore throat is usually caused by viral infections in the throat area and is associated with coughing, hoarseness, runny nose and red eyes. In the case of inflammation of the throat, the constant irritation of the pharynx is observed along with a sore throat, swollen tonsils, enlarged lymph nodes, white spots on the throat and fever. Tonsils are lymphatic tissue masses on either side of the oral pharynx. They help fight infections originating in the mouth and nose. However, the tonsils themselves can become infected and inflamed, a condition known as tonsillitis.
3. The symptoms of Pharyngitis and tonsillitis are quite similar. Patients with these medical problems manifest swollen tonsils and sore throat. And most people have a misconception of tonsillectomy, (the procedure performed to remove the tonsils), the candidate will not have strep throat. This is completely wrong, because strep throat is a throat infection, and not necessarily of the tonsils. In simple terms, a patient who has undergone tonsillectomy for tonsillectomy tonsillitis does not receive it later. However, it is still susceptible to have strep throat or acute strep throat.
4. According to a medical study, health experts have found that children who do not have their tonsils get lower incidence of strep throat than they used to suffer before tonsillectomy. However, this does not mean that tonsillectomy is an effective treatment option to cure recurrent strep throat. There are certain aspects to be taken into account when deciding whether removal of the tonsils should be done or not. For example, the risk of surgery and general health condition of the child must be analyzed in advance.
5. Needless to mention, the only exception, in this case, is that no swollen tonsils, as already retired. It is a contagious disease. In order to confirm streptococcus Pharyngitis after removing the tonsils, the doctor can perform a quick test for strep throat and the throat swab culture.
6. If the results are positive, the treatment of this condition of strep throat without tonsils proceeds in the same manner as for regular strep throat. The doctor may prescribe antibiotic drugs and other personal care tips to get relief from strep throat. Home remedies are effective for the treatment of these symptoms like gargling with warm salt water, drink plenty of liquids, aerosols counter throat and use a humidifier in the room, especially when strep throat is associated with difficulties in breathing. With proper treatment and intervention, any problem of infected throat streptococci is treated effectively.
More often than not, tonsillitis may look like a strep throat but that is not always the case. It is a strep throat without tonsils. It is a different condition with different diagnosis and treatments.